TKA EMAIL BULLETIN: JULY 19, 2013
KEY CALENDAR DATES
|July 25 (Th) ||High School Fall Sports Sign-up Night, 7:00 p.m., Theatre |
|August 5-8 (M-Th) ||Textbook Pick-up and Schedule-Change Period (click link for grade-assigned dates) |
|August 12, Monday ||New Student Orientation, All Student Welcome & Picture Day |
|August 13, Tuesday ||First Day of School, 8:00 a.m. - 2:20 p.m. |
|August 13-15 (Tu-Th) ||Parent Coffee Socials (6th--Aug. 13, 7th/8th--Aug. 14, 9th-12th--Aug. 15) |
|August 15 (Th) ||New Parent Orientation, 7:00 p.m., Theatre |
|August 20 (Tu) ||Junior High Fall & WInter Sports Sign Up Night. 7:00 p.m., Theatre |
|August 22 (Th) ||Senior Parent College Night |
|August 23-25 (F-Su) ||Senior Fall Escape |
|August 29 (Th) ||Parent Back to School Night, 6:30-9:00 p.m. |
|Sept. 2 (M) ||NO SCHOOL, Labor Day |
|Sept. 3-6 (Tu-F) ||7th Grade Mt. Gilead Retreat |
|Sept. 12-15 (Th-Su) ||9th Grade Summit Retreat |
|Sept. 13-15 (F-Su) ||10th/11th Grade Woodleaf Retreat |
|Sept. 16 (M) ||NO SCHOOL, Retreat Recovery Day |
|Sept. 17 (Tu) ||TKA Christian College Fair |
Welcome New TKA Familes and Students! Currently, we are expecting 204 new students this fall (108 in 6th grade, 30 in 7th grade, 6 in 8th grade, 46 in 9th grade, 9 in 10th grade, 2 in 11th grade, and 3 in 12th grade)
Payment Reminders from the Business Office:
- The first 2013-2014 tuition was due by July 15. After July 15th, there is a $25 late fee.
- ALL checks should be submitted to the Main Office only, not the SAO.
- When a check is submitted, put a note on the memo line with the student’s full name and the purpose for the payment (ie. tuition, sports fee, after school care). This helps to accurately credit the correct account.
- Please review your check prior to submission. Note that the amount in words is the same as the numbers on the check.
- Once a check is received, it is ours to deposit. Be careful to only use a current date when submitting a check since postdated checks cannot be accepted. This information comes directly from our auditors.
- If the Main Office is closed, place your payment in the drop-box to the left of the Main Office door behind the bench. Please use an envelope marked with your student’s name to secure your check.
Back to School Packets: If you have not received a white envelope "Back to School" packet, please email Mrs. Kathy Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org with your student's name(s)/grade(s) and your address, and she will send it to you. Forms are due back ASAP. The drop-off box for forms is in the Main Office. Thank you for helping us by getting those forms in soon.
Back to School Form Reminders:
- Photo Form: Please keep the Generations photo day flyer and return it on Picture Day (Monday, August 12) when photos are taken. Include credit card information or a check.
- Student/Parent Handbook Signature Page: Both student and parent signatures are required to document that each has read the handbook.
- Emergency Signature Form: Both parents must sign!
- Adult Driver Application: A copy of the driver's license is required for the Adult Driver Authorization form. If the form has already been submitted, you may email a copy of license to Kathy.Harvey@tka.org, drop it off in the Main Office, or the SAO staff can make a copy for you during textbook issuance week.
- Medication Authorization Form: Medication is not available for distribution at TKA. If a student requires medication of any kind, including over the counter non-prescription medication, this form needs to be filled out by parent and doctor, then submitted to the SAO. The SAO will lock up the medication and it will be made available when needed by your student.
Front Parking Lot Closed July 13-31: Our landlord, Fremont Union High School District, has scheduled a major overhaul of the front parking lot at The King's Academy. During renovation, the best option is to park in the back parking lot by entering at the Montessori gate off of Duane Avenue since parking is limited in the Theatre parking lot. The gate off the back parking lot by P-20 will be open 6:30 a.m - 10:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for easy access to the campus. Thank you for your cooperation.
Summer Office Hours
- The Main Office will be open 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. from June 3-August 2.
- The Athletic Office is open Tuesday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- The SAO is closed during the summer.
Summer Reading and Assignments:
- Summer Reading List for all students in grades 6-12.
- Summer Assignments: AP classes (APUSH, AP Government, AP English, AP Psychology) and 10th and 11th Grade English Honors assignments are now posted on www.tka.org/summer.
Spring Semester 2012-2013 Principal’s List and Honor Roll: Click here for both the junior high and high schools. Congratulations TKA students on your hard work and academic achievement! (Note: 6th grade students are not yet eligible.)
Please Pick Up Photos/USBs in Main Office (9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.):
- Parents who ordered a 2012-13 yearbook ad for your 8th or 12th grader.
- Students who applied for Yearbook Staff 2013-14.
- Students who purchased JSB photos
TKA Employment Opportunities: We seek applicants who are professionally qualified, love junior high and high school students, and who, by the pattern of their lives, are Christian role models. We have bright and dedicated faculty and staff who work in a supportive environment characterized by a desire to serve God and a commitment to mutual respect and collaboration. Please pass this information along to someone you think may would be a great addition to TKA!
PARENT VOLUNTEER CORNER
Seeking Parent Volunteers for Back to School Activities! No experience necessary for any job. This is a great way to be on campus, see the kids, and meet other TKA parents. The jobs are VERY easy! Please click on the Jooners links below to sign up if you can help with:
ACSI Christian School Comment: The Association of Christian Schools International Christian School Comment is published monthly, September through May, as a communication to Christian school families. The publication explores a variety of topics related to Christian schooling. Here are some recent issues:
CLASS SPECIFIC ANNOUNCEMENTS
Incoming 7th Grade Students Need Proof of Tdap Booster: Pertussis (also known as whooping cough) is widespread in California. There is a new State Law (AB 354), which requires all students entering 7th grade to show proof of having received a Tdap Pertussis booster shot given after their tenth birthday. Without this proof, students will not be permitted to attend classes on August 13, 2013. When your child receives the Tdap Pertussis booster shot, or if he/she has already received it after his/her tenth birthday, please bring, email, fax or send the immunization record to the school office, attention Rita Hoffman, so school records can be updated.
12th Grade Senior Portraits: All members of the Class of 2014 must be photographed by Now & Forever Studios before October 3, 2013 to meet the TKA yearbook deadline. Book your appointment at: www.nowandforeverstudio.com or www.facebook.com/Now.Forever.Studios. Questions? Call (408) 354-8660 or visit Now & Forever Studios (100 #C Cooper Ct., Los Gatos, off of University Ave. in between Lark Ave. & Blossom Hill Rd)
12th Grade London Trip 2014: Sign-ups continue! Simply follow this link to register at EF Tours and pay the $95 non-refundable registration fee. There is a convenient monthly payment plan for any who are interested in that. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. George Parsons. Remember, this trip takes place during Christmas vacation next year (January 4-12), and exams will be finished in December.
SPIRITUAL LIFE AND SERVICE
Summer Service Trips: Read about the service trips at the blogs below:
ACADEMIC AND COLLEGE COUNSELING
Senior Parent College Night: Thursday, August 22, 7:00 p.m. in the W Building.
VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
Junior High 2013 Musical Announced! Worth the Wait!! The Junior High Drama Department proudly announces its 2013-2014 season: The fall musical is G2K ("Getting to Know," basically a junior version) of Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella. (Note: this is not the Disney version).
The junior high spring play is Our Miss Brooks, a delightful story which is basically High School Musical, Jr. without the songs and is set in the 1950's.
Both shows have great roles for guys and girls, and we look forward to lots of students auditioning. Even if you think you can't sing, you can still be in the musical, and you will have a blast!
- Performance dates for the musical are November 21-23.
- Audition packets will be posted on the portal the first week of school. Packets and fees are due in the SAO by Wednesday, August 21.
- Auditions and callbacks will be the week of August 26. Specific information will be in the Audition packet.
- Questions? Contact Junior High Drama Director, Mrs. Maureen Ghiossi, at email@example.com,
Announcing....The High School Fall Play:
Lavender and Old Lace. Auditions: August 21-22. Performances: November 1-2.
Open to all 9th-12th grade students.
- Mary Ainslee, a charming and gracious older lady, is a tradition in her little New England village. She never leaves her house and every night a lamp burns in her attic window. When her best friend and neighbor decides to take a trip to England, Miss Ainslee agrees to take in her neighbor's young niece, Ruth, who is on vacation. Ruth is a journalist from the city who, in contrast to Mary Ainslee, is concerned with her career. Carl Winsfield, young newspaper reporter with eye trouble, comes to the village. Carl falls in love with Ruth, and Miss Ainslee seems to take a very peculiar,
but genuine interest in Carl’s life. Carl and Ruth become engaged. He has an accident which causes him to lose his eyesight. It is then that Miss Ainslee steps forth and fights heroically to help Carl regain his lost vision. Why should Mary Ainslee lavish so much care on a strange boy? In a play full of lighthearted, whimsical dialogue and tear jerking character journeys, this play is sure to be a delight.
TKA Bands Sponsors 100% Free Car Wash: Saturday, August 3, from 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at TKA. Prizes awarded to every 20th driver. Flyer here.
Knights Brigade Marching Band & Color Guard Application Linked Here. Band Camp begins August 5, so it's not too early to register! View the fall schedule.
Sports Sign-Up Nights 2013-2014: All participants are required to attend Sports Sign Up Night for their respective season: Click here for season sports and details.
- High School Fall Sports Sign-up Night: THIS Thursday, July 25, 7:00 p.m.:Football, Cross Country, Girls Tennis, Girls Volleyball, (New Sport) Girls Water Polo
- Junior High Fall & Winter Sports Sign-up Night: Tuesday, August 20, 7:00 p.m.: Softball, Football, Cross Country, Swimming, Girls Soccer, Boys Basketball, Wrestling
PE Gear: Pre-order online at www.companycasuals.com/ka/start.jsp by Friday, July 19. Your order will be ready for you to pick up during Textbook Pick-Up/Schedule Change Period (August 5-8) from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or on Monday, August 12, from 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Athletic Supply Room off the Athletic Quad. All major forms of credit card are accepted for orders online, by fax, email, or mail. Checks should be payable to “Personal Awards.”
Knights Mascot Gear: You can now order your gear online on our Athletic Gear webpage at www.tka.org/athleticgear. Orders placed by Friday, August 30, will be available in the Athletic Office beginning Tuesday, September 17. On the online form, we are also asking for your suggestions regarding other gear items you would like to buy in the future. Should you have any questions, please contact Joshua Burkhardt in the Athletic Office.
Sports Physical Day is on Wednesday, August 7, from 4:00-8:00 p.m. in the "W" building. Sports Physical day is a great opportunity to get a head start on completing the TKA Athletic Clearance packet and to take advantage of a physical for $25. A student‐athlete is eligible ONLY after the Pre‐participation Physical Evaluation form is signed by a physician and on file with Athletic Department. Baseline ImPACT Concussion tests will also be completed this day and Athletic Clearance Packets will be on hand for parents/guardians to complete. The format is by last name: A-F: 4:00-5:00 p.m., G-L: 5:00-6:00 p.m., M-R: 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m., S-Z: 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Summer Workouts: If you are interested in participating in any of the sports listed below at The King's Academy, click here for summer workout information and coach contact information. All incoming freshmen (which include former TKA 8th graders), can begin participation on June 8th per CIF/CCS rules. All summer practices and games end during the dead period of August 1–16.
- Varsity/JV Football
- Girls and Boys Varsity/JV Volleyball
- Girls Varsity/JV Basketball
- Boys Varsity/JV Basketball
- Cross Country
- Boys 7th/8th Flag Football Head Coach
- Boys 7th/8th Flag Football Assistant Coach
May God Bless You and Keep Your Family Safe During This Summer
Please do not reply to this email. This is an automated notification which is unable to receive replies. If you need assistance, please contact Kriss Hayward, TKA Public Relations Director, at Kriss.Hayward@tka.org.