College Planning By Year
Freshman and Sophomore Years
- If you want to enroll at the college of your choice, you must be in class earning good grades.
- Get to know yourself: What do you like to do? What are your greatest talents? Work to develop these interest through meaningful activities.
- Read reference guides and catalogs. Visit college and university websites.
- Pursue and explore passions, via extracurricular activities, inside and outside of school.
- If possible, visit colleges with older siblings or friends.
- October: Take the PSAT – Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test.
- February: Begin individual student self-assessment meetings.
- March: Visit colleges during spring break; continue individual meetings.
- April: Take SAT Preparation Course (juniors); complete draft one of college essay and turn in to Counselor.
- May: Take SAT I Test (all juniors) and Advance Placement (AP) Exams; write to colleges for information and application materials; finalize a list of 15-20 schools with College Counselor before summer: plan summer visits.
- June-August: Take SAT II Subject Test; visit colleges and interview.
- September: Individual meetings to finalize list of college choices; Turn in senior questionnaire; turn in final draft of college essay; meet with college reps visiting TKA; meet with your teachers to request recommendations; meet registration deadline for October SAT; meet registration deadline for November SAT.
- October: SAT I and II Testing; begin completing college applications; meet with college representatives visiting TKA; all Early Decision/Early Action applications are due in college counseling office by mid October; registration deadline for December SAT.
- November: SAT I and II Testing; meet with college reps visiting TKA; all other applications are due immediately following Thanksgiving break; all teacher recommendation forms to teachers (with stamped/addressed envelopes); complete this BEFORE Thanksgiving Break. December: Optional SAT I and II; Request to have your official SAT scores sent to all colleges to which you have applied.
- January: File financial aid forms; contact colleges to confirm receipt of application.
- March: Visit colleges you have not previously seen, or colleges that you are seriously interested in attending.
- April: All admissions decisions should be mailed to you by April 15.
- May: Reply to admission offers by May 1; send a deposit to one college only; waiting list will begin to move after mid-May; Advanced Placement exams June; submit form to SAO to have your final transcript forwarded to the college you choose to attend.