Resources for Parents
*If you have a resource you would like to suggest be shared with other parents, please email TKA Public Relations Director, Kriss.Hayward@tka.org. Note: Books are linked to Amazon.com for reference purposes, not as a way to promote purchases to this site.
The King's Academy desires to partner with parents and provide support by offering seminars on a variety of topics. Check this page for the latest information.
"Raising Digital Citizens Connected to Him" Resources
- TKA 1:1 Technology Presentation with Rachel Medeiros
- TKA Digital Guide
- Setting Boundaries: Device Contract & Family Media Agreement
- Managing Devices: Check out Circle which pairs with your home Wi-Fi and lets you manage every device on your network
- Common Sense Media Family Toolbox & Reviews
- Amplified EDU blog series on digital citizenship
- Screenagers Tech Talk Tuesday blog
- Tech Talk Tuesday #84: How do you feel about screen-free zones?
- How to Keep Kids Safe Online: A Guide for Parents (published by ism, the source for private school news)
High School Chapel Topic: Depression
Parent Seminar: Hot Topics
Parent Seminar: Teens & Tech: What Technology is Doing to Our Families and What To Do About It
- Linked here is the Powerpoint presentation and handout from this TKA seminar for families. There is a wealth of information and resources in the handout alone!
Menlo Church Conference: Parenting Teens Through the Challenges of Life
- This conference, sponsored by Menlo Church, offered a wealth of seminars for parents that have been recorded.
Resources Submitted by TKA Community Members*
*Send suggestions to PR Director, Kriss Hayward.
- "Top 10 Skills Middle School Students Need to Thrive, and How Parents Can Help" (Washington Post, February 2016)
- Chuck Swindoll Series on "Top Temptations Fathers Face" (KFAX Radio, August 2013)
- "Don’t Make Your Children the Exception to Every Rule" (New York Times, August 2013)
- Dr. Tim Elmore, President of Growing Leaders, a non-profit that helps develop emerging leaders under the philosophy that each child is born with leadership qualities:
- What to Do About a Stressed-Out Teen
- The Secret to Raising Emotionally Healthy Kids
- "Why Social Media is Not Smart for Middle School Kids"
Books on Technology & Culture
- Howard Gardner and Katie Davis. The App Generation: How Today’s Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy,and Imagination in a Digital World
- Kevin Kelly. What Technology Wants
- Marshall McLuhan & Lewis H. Lapham. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man
- Marshall McLuhan. The Medium and the Light: Reflections on Religion
- Neil Postman. Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
- Neil Postman. Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
- Nicholas Carr. The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains
- Shane Hipps. The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, The Gospel, and Church
- Sherry Turkle. Alone Together
Books for Adults, Parents, Teachers
- Catherine Steiner-Adair. The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
- Kara E. Powell & Dr. Chap Clark. Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
- Laurence Steinberg. The 10 Basic Principles of Good Parenting
- Patrick Lencioni. The 3 Big Questions for a Frantic Family
- Paul Tough. How Children Succeed; Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
- Reggie Joiner & Carey Nieuwhof. Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community
- Walt Mueller. The Space Between: A Parent’s Guide to Teenage Development
- Wendy Mogel. The Blessing of a Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings To Raise Self-Reliant Children.
- Daniel J. Siegel & Tina Payne Bryson. The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
- Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman. Nurture Shock
- Jim Candy, Brad M. Griffin, Kara Powell. Can I Ask That
- Jim Burns books.
- Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. Boundaries Series: Boundaries in Marriage, Boundaries with Kids, Boundaries with Teens, Boundaries in Dating, Boundaries for Leaders
Books for Students
- Alex and Brett Harris. Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
- Zach Hunter. Be The Change
- Blake Mycoskie. Start Something That Matters
- Ben Young & Sam Adams. The Ten Commandments of Dating (Student Edition)
- Doug Fields. Help, I’m a Student Leader
Books Recommended at Parent Forum "Hot Button: Issues Facing Parents of Teens"
- Don’t Take Love Lying Down by Brad Henning
- Hope & Help for Video Game, TV & Internet “Addictions” by Mark Shaw
- Goodbye High School, Hello World by Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz
- Bringing up Girls by Dr. James Dobson
- Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson
- What’s Happening to My Body: Book for Boys by Lynda and Area Madaras
- What’s Happening to My Body: Book for Girls by Lynda and Area Madaras
- Jim Burns’ books on Sexuality for various ages
- Jim Burns’ Homeword
- Family Life: Passport to Purity
- 10 Basic Principles of Good Parenting by Laurence Steinberg
- Revolutionary Parenting by George Barna
Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) Christian School Comment
The Association of Christian Schools International Christian School Comment is published monthly, September through May, as a communication to Christian school families. The publication explores a variety of topics related to Christian schooling. Here are some recent issues:
- Christian Schools: Is Your Investment Worth It?
- Pursue Excellence!
- Spiritual Formation in an Age of Entitlement
- The Christian School Difference
- On the Front Lines
- Living and Loving Truth
- The Practice of Promising
- Wanted: Hospitality
Click the logo above to read other resources for parents from The Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).