TKA Covid Protocols
TKA On-Campus Protocol
To ensure the safety of our students and staff, The King's Academy's will follow the following protocols as we begin the school year:
- All students will return to in-person instruction at TKA. We are not planning to provide any hybrid learning at this time.
At this time, masks are required indoors at all times (SCCPH order 8/2/21).
Masks are not required outdoors.
EXCEPT: Masks are required when in line and ordering at the Knights Café.
All food and drink must be consumed outdoors.
- California Department of Education no longer requires spatial distancing.
- Symptom self-checks are still expected by students each morning before coming to school.
- Vaccinations and boosters are not required but are strongly encouraged.
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH): COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K-12 Schools in California, 2021-22 School Year
- CDPH COVID-19 Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
- Santa Clara County Public Health (SCCPH) Home Isolation and Quarantine Guidance - Contact Tracing
In order to protect the health of our entire educational community, all staff and students will be tested regularly.
TKA Rationale for Testing
- Our staff are tested, and they feel safer knowing students are tested too.
- We are trying to prevent a large outbreak or even a school closure. Testing allows us to hopefully catch positive Covid individuals before they can pass it on to others. Keeping TKA open is of primary importance along with a return to normal activities. Testing allows us to continue with all activities.
- Now that we do not have social distancing guidelines, or every other week of cohorts which kept the student population smaller, mask wearing and testing make even more sense. When we were in cohorts, we had a maximum of 300 students on campus. Now we will have 900 students on campus daily, a 300% increase from last year enhancing the chances of Covid outbreaks.
- Both Delta and Omicron variants of Covid are highly contagious even among young people who can bring it home and expose their families.
- TKA's Administrative Leadership Team believes this is best for our school at this time. It does not mean we will test indefinitely, but as long as cases are high in our county.
TKA staff and students will be tested bi-weekly until the Omicron surge subsides.
TKA Student Testing Details
At present, we are testing all students every other week, and indoor unmasked athletes weekly; for staff, testing is currently only unvaccinated members.
- The testing will be an oral mouth swab, a simple and fast process. The technician puts the swab in the student's mouth, swabs against the cheek, and puts the swab in a vial.
TKA Testing Process
- Students can enter the school from either the SAO gate or back gate and then should proceed directly to the Gym for testing.
- Students must have their SCHOOL ID CARDS ready to present upon checking in.
- Once your student is complete with testing, they may remain on campus while awaiting the official start of the school day.
- At present, test processing labs are experiencing very high volumes of test submissions, and test results may be delayed beyond the usual 24-hour reporting period. Parents will get a text to view their student's results. The results will be confidential except for limited school personnel responsible for contacting families whose student has a positive test result.
- If you know you have not previously registered with the Covid Testing Today company that we have been using since August, or if your insurance has changed, please register here now.
For questions about the testing process or school protocols, please contact me at Matt.Nisbet@tka.org.
For any questions about test registration or reporting, please email contact@covid-testing-today.
Offsite Student Covid Testing
- Parents can choose to test offsite at a facility (not a home test kit) and upload the results.
- An offsite test must be taken at a testing facility (not a home test) and must not have been taken any earlier than 7 days prior and no later than TKA's testing date.
- Upload Offsite testing results here.
Contact Matt.Nisbet@tka.org, Director of Operations