TKA Named Apple Distinguished School!
The King's Academy is pleased to announce that it has been selected as an Apple Distinguished School for 2022–2025. TKA is recognized for its innovative 1:1 technology program and for integrating technology into the curriculum to enhance the student-learning experience. Notable technology integrations include the application of Pages to create infographics, iMovie to create multimedia presentations, and GarageBand to create podcasts. Every TKA classroom is equipped with the latest Apple TV 4K.
Read details here!
TKA Recognized as Common Sense School
Earning the Common Sense School badge is a symbol of a TKA's dedication to helping students think critically and use technology responsibly to learn, create, and participate, while limiting the perils that exist in the online realm, such as plagiarism, loss of privacy, and cyberbullying. The recognition acknowledges our school's commitment to creating a culture of digital citizenship.
"We applaud the faculty and staff of The King’s Academy for embracing digital citizenship as an important part of their students' education," said Liz Kline, VP, Education Programs, Common Sense Education. "The King’s Academy deserves high praise for giving its students the foundational skills they need to compete and succeed in the 21st-century workplace and participate ethically in society at large."
Learn more about criteria for recognition as a Common Sense School.
“Creating Digital Citizens Connected to Him”
It is The King’s Academy’s commitment, and our distinctive vision, to “Create Digital Citizens Connected to Him.” The computer age has changed the world we live in and produced far greater challenges than ever before. We can try to avoid those challenges, ignore them, or face them head on. TKA believes the latter is the correct course for all Christians. At The King’s Academy, our goal is always to prepare our students – for college, life, service and eternity. The stated vision of The King’s Academy is: “Graduates of The King’s Academy are transformed by Christ, live a life that honors God, and use their gifts to influence the world for Him.”
To that end, these are the areas TKA will focus on preparing our students to be responsible digital citizens connected to our King Jesus Christ:
- Be kind
- Disagree respectfully
- Be ethical and give credit
- Set a positive example and honor God
- Collaborate with others
- Create and share beautiful ideas and work
- Spread the love of Jesus
- Protect privacy of self and others
- Decide thoughtfully what to watch and read
- Think critically about many sides of an issue
- Research carefully to evaluate credibility
- Stand up for others
- Raise awareness
- Influence the world for Him
In Genesis, God commanded us to “subdue the earth, and take dominion over all the world.” In 2 Corinthians 10:5, Paul commands us to take every thought captive, and make it obedient to Christ. That has never been more important than it is today in the digital age. If we ignore the world our students are living in, and one day working in, then we will fail in preparing them to take every thought captive. It is a very daunting task, but one we must face. Let’s partner together and face these new challenges in a way that honors our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Creating a Partnership
As part of the partnership with parents, The King’s Academy will…
- Provide an internet agreement policy.
- Provide filtering mechanisms for devices while on campus and recommend filtering solutions for the devices while at home.
- Provide seminars and resources for parents.
Technology Monitoring: Apple Classroom
While technology is a powerful learning tool for students, we realize that it can be tempting for students to be off-task and distracted when using a computer. Therefore, in the junior high and high schools, teachers use Apple Classroom management software to:
- Monitor Devices
- Defeat Distractions
- Keep Students On Task
During classroom instruction time, teachers can monitor student laptops by controlling what websites and applications students are able to use in order to improve student attention and work productivity. Additionally, all devices connected to the TKA network will be filtered using our content filter which filters all Internet activity on campus.
Teaching time is precious, and we have a responsibility to make sure that every aspect of the classroom environment is conducive to learning.
Computer Science & Engineering at TKA
Technology Scope and Sequence
TKA Students Use Studyo Digital Planner
TKA uses Studyo because it helps students build organizational skills and teaches them the benefits of planning ahead and executive functioning skills. Studyo also gives TKA teachers clearer insights into student workload regarding tests and major assignments on any given day. In addition to their school work, students can customize their planners, adding in their after-school activities.
Parents can purchase a guardian version for $49 per year for the entire family. Review details here.
Helpful Studyo Video Tutorials
- Studyo Digital Planner Tutorial for Students & Parents
- Logging In
- Personalizing Your Planner
- Marking Tasks Done
- Adding Personal Events
- Planning Long-term Tasks
Rachel Hirota, Educational Technology Specialist
Help with Technology
- Issue with FACTS Portal or Google Suite: Email Help.Desk@tka.org
- Note: TKA's IT department is not able to provide support with any issues related to your home network or personal devices.
Technology & IT FAQs
- School Device Minimum Requirements?
- What Software Do Students Need?
- TKA's Filtering & Security Features?
- What If My Device Is Lost or Stolen?
- What About Loaner Devices?
- Installing Software on Device?
- Issues with MacBook and Apple M-Series Chip?
- Why Apple Technology?
- Apple Education Discount?
- Device Acceptable Use Policy?
- Connecting to TKA Wifi?
- Is VPN/Proxy Software Allowed?
- Consequences for Device Misuse?
- Where to Charge My Device?
- What About Safeguarding Data?
- Advice for Parents?