TKA at A Glance
Download a copy of our School Profile.
Download a copy of TKA At A Glance.
Located in Sunnyvale, CA, The King’s Academy is a private Christ-centered college preparatory school for students in grades 6-12. The school was established in 1991.
The King’s Academy strives to have all graduating students be spiritually maturing, academically excellent, morally principled, and socially confident and concerned.
- Grades 6-12
- Total Enrollment 2018-2019: 946
- 9th-12th: 602
- 7th-8th: 243
- 6th: 101
- Ethnicity: 34% Caucasian, 45% Asian, 12% Multi-racial, 5% Hispanic/Latino, 2% Black, 2% Other
International Students: 22
- Faculty: 79 - 74 full-time, 5 part-time
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 12 to 1
- Average Class Size: 19; 87% of classes have less than 25 students
- 6th Grade Class Size: 20-22
- 2018-2019 Tuition: $17,400 for grade 6; $18,400 for grades 7-8; $19,400 for grades 9-12
- 170 students are receiving financial aid in 2018-2019
- $1,000,000 is the amount of financial aid given for 2018-2019
- View detailed test scores here.
- Advanced Placement Courses -- 17; Honors Courses – 13
- AP Courses:
- Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics 1
- Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics
- English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition
- Chinese Language & Culture, French Language & Culture, Spanish Language & Culture
- Psychology, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, World History
- Computer Science Principles, Computer Science A
- AP Tests 2018: Average AP Score - 3.93; 91.5% passed (score of 3, 4, 5); 67.4% received top scores of 4 or 5 (All TKA students taking AP courses are required to take the accompanying AP exam.) In May 2018, 461 AP exams were administered to 243 students
- SAT Scores 2017 (New SAT Test Version):
- Average Evidenced-Based Reading - 646
- Average Math - 650
- Writing & Language Subscore - 33
- Math Subscore - 33
- Reading Subscore - 32
From the Class of 2018, 96% are attending college/university (84%-4 year college/university; 12%-2 year college). View TKA's college acceptance list.
Four full-time counselors offer comprehensive academic and college planning programs for students and parents beginning in the 9th grade. An academic planning meeting is scheduled with each sophomore, along with his/her parent(s), and each sophomore is registered for Naviance Family Connection which is an online program for career and college planning. At the beginning of junior year, each student is assigned a personal counselor who remains with the student through the senior year. Read the College & Academic Planning brochure.
Community service: 35 hours per year for a total of 140 hours required for graduation. Service trips offered in 2018-2019 to: Belize, Brazil, Ecuador, Kentucky, Los Angeles, Mexico (Tecaté and Guadalajara), East Palo Alto, San Miguel School in Sunnyvale, Reach Potential in Sunnyvale.
- Athletic Teams: 65 (20 - fall, 18 - winter, 27 - spring)
- Total high school participants: 553*
Total junior high participants: 388* (*may count athlete on multiple sports)
- High school participating in CCS championship playoffs in 2017-2018: 11
- High School Sports: Boys & Girls—Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball, Water Polo; Boys—Baseball, Football; Girls Softball
- Junior High Sports: Boys & Girls—Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball; Boys—Football, Baseball; Girls Softball
- Vocal: mixed chorus, "Knightshine" show choir, and music leadership (select vocal groups)
- Instrumental: orchestra, marching band, jazz band, color guard
- Theatre: junior high – one play and one musical each year; high school – one play and one musical each year; one-act plays directed by high school students; improv group
Dance: All levels dance instruction; "Ignite" advanced dance performing group
- Art: Drawing, 3D, Advanced, Calligraphy, Ceramics, Film Studies, Linear Perspective Drawing, Intro to Digital Painting, 3D Modeling-ZBrush, Digital Design & Animation
The library is open to all students on regular school days at 7:30 a.m. and until 6:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and until 4:00 p.m. on Friday.
Hot and cold meals can be purchased for breakfast, brunch, and lunch. A full-service salad bar is open daily for lunch. Other healthy snacks and drinks are available for sale at the Knight's Café at meals and after school.
Staffed by a full-time Director and two part-time assistants, the Academic Support Department offers a limited range of support services for students who have been diagnosed with a learning issue, a medical illness, and/or emotional issues. The staff create individual student support plans for students needing some accommodations. Teacher and peer tutoring offered in Academic Support Center. The fee for the year is $750. Read the Academic Support brochure for more information.
- Central gathering spot," the Quad," with student lockers
- Expanded College & Academic Counseling Center
- Portable dedicated to the Academic Support Center
- Expanded Knights Café with walk-in salad bar
- Library with multi-media center
- 5 computer labs: 3 PC and 2 iMac
- 2 chemistry labs; 3 life sciences labs; 2 biology labs; 1 physics lab
- Newly remodeled 475-seat, 10,000 square-feet performing arts theater
- Dance studio; vocal music studio; band room
- Art and ceramic studios
- Large spiritual life/student life building with stage
- Full-size gymnasium and an auxiliary gym
- State-of-the-art, all-weather running track
- Artificial turf (organic infill) football/soccer field
- New tennis courts (May 2017)
- New turf junior high, multi-purpose field. (September 2017)
New artificial turf on softball field outfield (September 2017)
- Baseball and softball fields with dugouts
- Outdoor athletic quad for basketball, volleyball, hockey
- Athletic training room and weight room
- New broadcasting center (Summer 2017)
- New solar panel structure erected in back parking lot will bring electricity cost savings (October 2017)
If you cannot find an answer to your question, kindly email Kriss Hayward, Director of Marketing & Communications, and she will help you!