College Exams and Essays
Entrance Exam Dates
- The PSAT: What to do next after taking the PSAT, how to interpret the PSAT report, how to use PSAT scores to consider SAT vs. ACT, a breakdown of the National Merit process, and the Semifinalist cutoffs for the class of 2017 in each state.
- Comparing Scores: How to compare new SAT, old SAT, & ACT scores. A user-friendly take on College Board's concordance tables.
- Competitive Scores: Concorded SAT & ACT score ranges at 360 popular colleges. This adjusts for the new SAT's inflated scale to give a sense of where students now stand.
- SAT & ACT Essay: An updated list of which colleges require or recommend the SAT or ACT essay, an explanation of the ACT essay scoring changes and resulting confusion, and guidance on SAT essay strategies & ACT essay strategies.
- Score Policies: Super-scoring and Score Choice policies for 360 popular colleges.
- Subject Tests: Which colleges require or recommend Subject Tests, a detailed Subject Tests FAQ, an analysis of what is a "good" Subject Test score, and an assessment of the five most popular Subject Tests.
- Special Testing Accommodations: A detailed review of the process involved in applying for and receiving SAT testing accommodations or ACT testing accommodations.
- Explaining Scaling and the “Curve”: How the SAT and ACT are scaled and why students should not choose tests or test dates based on misguided notions of the “curve,” and a guide on how to handle the ACT’s aggressive pacing and predictable organization of questions by difficulty.
- Compass Services: Our approach to private tutoring, diagnostic testing and evaluation, details on our testing presentations, background on our company's leadership and our elite team of tutors. All of this and more is contained in a 80+ page free resource, The Compass Guide to College Admission Testing. Your copy is available at the 10th Grade College Night Presentation.
College Admission Essay Writing Tips